Scenic view of beach

Conservation authorities are mandated by the Province to prevent the loss of life and minimize property damage due to natural hazards.  LPRCA's Planning and Regulatory Services staff works with watershed constituents and our municipal partners to support development that proceeds in such a way that risks to life and property are minimized, while maintaining the natural features and hydrologic functions of the watershed.  We are authorized under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act to implement and enforce the Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation (Ontario Regulation 178/06).

In May 2006, LPRCA’s Ontario Regulation (O. Reg) 178/06 came into affect. The principal goals of O. Reg 178/06 are to minimize the risks to life and property damage due to flooding and erosion.  We regulate areas in and around wetlands, watercourses, the Lake Erie shoreline and steep slopes that are susceptible to flooding, erosion and pollution.

Ontario Regulation 178/06 establishes Regulated Areas where development could be subject to flooding, erosion or dynamic beaches, or where interference with wetlands and alterations to shorelines and watercourses might have an adverse effect on those environmental features. Under O. Reg. 178/06, any proposed development, interference or alteration within a Regulated Area requires a permit from LPRCA.

If you are planning to do any work near lakes, rivers, streams, wetlands, slopes or the Lake Erie shoreline, you may require a permit from the LPRCA. Contact the LPRCA at (519) 842-4242 to determine if your property is regulated.

Is my property located in a regulated area? View the online mapping which indicates the Approximate Regulated Areas within the Long Point Region watershed. The map lines are only an approximation of the regulation limits and are based on best available information.  Should your development activity involve a regulated feature not shown by the mapping, a permit may still be required.  

What activities are regulated?

Regulated activities include:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure
  • site grading
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material originating on the site or elsewhere

How does this affect the planning approvals required from municipalities and other agencies?

A permit from the Conservation Authority does not replace building permits or any other permits issued through municipal offices or from other agencies.